Wednesday 28 March 2012

Cabby slapping passenger


 Comfort DelGro has terminated the hiring agreement of a taxi driver who assaulted STOMPer Francis after he refused to pay the additional cab fare accumulated from travelling to a nearby ATM when the NETS system in the cab was not working.

Comfort DelGro has stated that the taxi driver should not have charged the STOMPer extra and that he should have handled the situation better.

In an earlier email to STOMP, the STOMPer said:

"I have lodged a police report against the driver of the taxi with the license plate number SHC0813K, who overcharged me and slapped me on my left cheek on 26 March 2012 at around 8.57pm.

"I boarded his taxi at the road side along Funan DigitaLife Mall after a long day of working a 12 hour shift at work, as I thought it would be a comfortable and convenient ride home.

"Upon reaching my destination, the taxi driver stopped the meter at $15++ inclusive of the peak hour charges.

"I told him that I would pay by NETS as I did not have any cash on hand.

"The driver then tried to process the NETS transaction twice, but unfortunately the transaction failed to go through both times.

"I do understand that sometimes the system may be faulty, so I suggested making a cash withdrawal at the nearest ATM so that I could pay him for the trip.

"Upon reaching the ATM, a man was standing there because his ATM card was stuck inside the machine and he was trying to rectify the problem.

"I led the driver to Eunos MRT station, where I found an ATM and withdrew some cash.

"I then returned to the taxi and the driver offered to drive me back to my final destination again.

"When I was in the taxi, I was surprised that the taxi driver had continued to run the meter and charge me.

"The final bill amounted to $18 instead of $15++.

"As he drove, I questioned him on why he turned on the meter back on again and he replied: "If you have anything that you are unhappy about, you can complain to my company."

"I told the driver that I would only pay him $15 instead of $18.

"I got off the taxi and called Comfort Delgro to file a complaint, and was attended to by CSO Sabrina.

"While I was talking to Sabrina, the driver bumped into the front part of my body twice and challenged me to a fight.

"The driver then used his right hand to slap my left cheek once, however I did not retaliate.

"On the phone, our conversation and background were recorded before a report to the police was made regarding the din that the driver had created.

"He had also shouted: "If you do not have money, don't take a taxi."

"I do not see any reason why taxi drivers should be able to cheat and vent their anger on passengers."

Responding to the STOMPer, a representative from Comfort DelGro wrote:

"We have conducted an investigation including listening in on the recording of your call to our call centre. We note that angry words were exchanged on both sides and believe the situation was very heated.

"We agree with you that the driver should not have charged you extra and should most certainly have handled the situation better. As a Limo driver, much more is expected of him and we have decided to terminate his hiring agreement with us as he is not able to represent the Company and what it stands for. 

"With regards to the alleged assault, we believe the Police will handle this and will certainly assist where needed."



 STOMPer Francis has rejected the complimentary taxi vouchers offered by Comfort DelGro after he was assaulted by a taxi driver on the night of March 26.

The STOMPer had refused to pay the additional cab fare accumulated from travelling to a nearby ATM as the NETS system in the cab was faulty. However, the taxi driver became aggressive and even slapped the STOMPer.

A representative from Comfort DelGro said in a statement issued on March 27 that the taxi driver's hiring agreement has been terminated.

STOMPer Francis was also offered complimentary taxi vouchers but has since declined to receive them, saying he 'just wants to move on'.

In his response to Comfort DelGro, STOMPer Francis wrote:

"I just want to point out the flaw in your taxi meterings and also the violent behavior of your staff.

"I decline to receive the vouchers and I just want to move on."


PS:
Story too one sided.
I don't believe that the passenger is totally innocence.
But who start the fight 1st is wrong.
Fighting is wrong and will not settle anythings too.

No comments:

Post a Comment